[Librecmc-users] TP-Link TL-WR1043N flash failure

Robert Call bob at librecmc.org
Thu Mar 28 17:26:46 EDT 2019

On Thu, 2019-03-28 at 10:23 -0400, Kete wrote:
> Hello fellow freedom lovers,
> As I posted on the OpenWRT forum, I've hit a wall with this router,
> the TP-Link TL-WR1043N. I haven't set up the router, and I reset it
> to factory defaults. From https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd
> , I've followed these instructions:
> Rename OpenWRT or original firmware to WR1043v5_tp_recovery.bin
> Set static IP of your PC to 192.168.0.66

Are you trying to flash libreCMC? The project does not provide support
for issues with OpenWrt. Also, OpenWrt does not provide support for
libreCMC).

> But this didn't happen:
>     Router will obtain IP 192.168.0.86 for a few seconds while
> What happened was the webapp flashed back to the login, and when I
> try to flash again, it says, "This operation is not allowed for
> remote management." After another factory reset, it only says the
> "operation is not allowed...."
> Am I supposed to reset? This is my first time trying to flash, so I
> might have missed the basics. I can also meet on Freenode. I see
> Minifree has started selling a libreCMC router/service, but I read
> that their shipping is expensive; it is overseas.

This router is supported by libreCMC, but it requires using beta images
[1] or waiting a few days for v1.4.7 images to become available.

Other things to note:

* Double check that you actually have revision 5 of this router.

* Make sure that you use a factory image for the initial flash.

* The image must be named WR1043v5_tp_recovery.bin (or something
similar, check tftp error logs)

* The tftp server machine must have an IP of 192.168.0.66

* The tftp server must be connected directly to one of the LAN ports
with nothing connected to the WAN port.

* Make sure that the firewall on the tftp machine will allow tftp
traffic.

* libreCMC's default LAN IP address is 192.168.10.1

* As with any flashing, there is always the risk that it could end with
a brick, so flash at your own risk.

[1]
https://gogs.librecmc.org/libreCMC/libreCMC/src/v1.4/docs/TL_WR1043ND.md

--