[Librecmc-users] Librecmc and DHT/IPFS

Ryan rysa88 at posteo.net
Fri Jan 22 06:21:53 EST 2021

Hi

Sorry to be a pain, but there is a gap in my understanding which I hope
you could help with. I shall try to explain as best I can.

I have been playing around with IPFS, my gateway uses Librecmc, hence
why I thought it best to ask here. Basically, when I start IPFS librecmc
functions as normal, however about maybe 6-12 hours later, there is a
noticible slowdown, not enough to grind the router to a halt, but enough
to notice latency on an otherwise relatively fast connection, once
stopping IPFS, this goes away again. Looking at the connection tracking
page, which freezes, there are lots of (as expected UDP connections (as
I am only running it using IPFS with QUIC). Whilst not the same but
still DHT, I have also seen on the wiki for rtorrent DHT,
https://github.com/rakshasa/rtorrent/wiki/Using-DHT. That it suggests
using the firewall forwarding ruleĀ  with NOTRACK, to reduce the tracking
at the router level and thus reduce the load. Now my question is, would
Librecmc, if I add the NOTRACK to the extra arguments to my existing
forwarding rule, mean that the router just passes the packets to my
server (which is firewalled) and thus potentially reduce unnecessary
load on the router and perhaps restore lower latency and secondly, are
there any (security or otherwise) implications to not tracking UDP
packets at the router level?

Caveats, I have tried my two most "powerful" devices running librecmc
and the result is generally the same. IPFS's DHT uses considerably more
data than Bittorents, but still a fraction of the available down
bandwidth, also once pages are resolved and when downloading or trying a
speedtest, there is no apparent loss of speed, which leads me to think
the router is struggling with tracking the UDP packets?

As I say sorry if this seems obvious, but I like to ask to be sure , Its
something I'd like to sort if it is seemingly that simple a fix, but
thought best to ask.

Many thanks to any responses

Ryan